Anyone familiar with Orange Beach has at least seen Doc’s Seafood Shack & Oyster Bar, even if they have yet to step inside. Conveniently located on the corner of Canal Rd and CR 161, Doc’s is an Orange Beach landmark. Yes, it’s a “dive” in every sense of the word, but that’s also why the word “shack” is used in its name.
Aside from having a laid-back coastal atmosphere, with good food served by good people, Doc’s also has a moniker that has been bestowed upon it by past patrons: they have the best fried shrimp in the entire civilized world. Check out the clip below with Doc’s owner, Richard Schwartz.
- Sometimes the best thing I can do for a dining tip is sit down with someone and let them do the talking. So Richard, my feeling is that if you were to just drop in on Doc’s here you would taste what Orange Beach tastes like. That this is the flavor of this area, but you take that a step further; you make an even bigger claim.
- Well, what you’ve said is exactly right, but it wasn’t said by me. But the fact of the matter is “we have the best fried shrimp in the entire civilized world.”
- That’s a huge claim.
- It is a huge claim. We also have wonderful gumbo and these are old, old family recipes from my family, from Mississippi. And our customers seem to appreciate it and we appreciate our customers. And that’s the whole secret of this whole outfit. We do a lot of things from scratch. We have a menu that has been the same menu, basically for 33 years, for 34 years. So, uh, we just happen to hope that we’re good at what we do. And our customers seem to appreciate it; like I say, we appreciate them. So, hey, we’re just not gonna be making a lot of changes. I’ve got servers that have been here year in and year out and people tell me “don’t change a thing, we see the same servers, we see the same food, we see the same black and white, green and white, yellow and white, red and white tablecloths” depending upon what I can get at the time and it’s very comfortable and people seem to like it.
- I think you definitely are right about that and, you know, the idea of coming here when you first drive to Orange Beach, is a way to come home to this area and come home to the food that really tells you you’re here and that it belongs here. And that’s what you get here; that’s what you get at Doc’s.
- Well, it’s not fancy, but we like to think we do it right.
- You do. That’s my dining tip for you today. I’ll see you soon for more dining here on Beach TV.
Doc’s Seafood Shack can be found at:
26029 Canal Rd
Orange Beach, AL 36561
About the Blogger
The above blog post was brought to you by Phillip Barham of Alabama Coastal Living. Aside from writing about all things relating to living in Coastal Alabama, Phillip is also a full-time realtor. He is passionate about where he lives and enjoys helping others find their own piece of paradise, so they too can Live the Coastal Lifestyle.
Phillip can be reached at Phillip@ALCoastalLiving.com.